Wednesday, December 21, 2005

why do fools fall in love?

It seems to be the season for breaking up. Those of you who know me well (or have come across me very drunk and lose-lipped at a party) might say that I seem to be in a perpetual state of breaking up. Well, love is complicated, what can I say. Judging by all the other people now in states of breaking up, at least I know I'm not alone.


Breaking up during the holiday season is awful. It's the time of year when you are suppossed to be happy and sharing things with the people you love. Well, what if thinking fondly on the person you love fills you with so much heartache and painful sadness that you want to drown yourself in a big bowl of eggnog? My advice; get angry. Don't think about the good times that you're now mourning the loss of, think about all the really bad shitty times, when they were bitchy, mean, said/did things to hurt you. Nothing drowns out those soul-tearing feelings of gut wrentching pain and heart break like anger and if you're lucky, you can make youself mad enough to forget why you ever loved them in the first place. This will last until you hear a cheesey but classic holiday song ("Baby come home for Christmas", "All I want for Christmas is you") that reminds you of them, and floods the tears and sadness right back in. But a temporary relief is better than no relief at all. Music can work in your favor too. There are plenty of songs about love gone wrong to help bring out your anger or just make you feel less alone.


My old roommate and I used to sit around drinking and smoking into the early hours of the morning lamenting over the current romantic complications in our lives and listening to what we deemed our "cigarette songs". So if you're also in the middle of breaking up w/someone, here's an extensive list of good songs, w/some good lyrics to get you through it. (Send me your favorite breakup songs, god knows I'll need them this week).



"My feel for you, boy, is decaying in front of me
Like the carrion of murdered prey
And all I want is to save you, honey
Or the strength to walk away"
Carrion, Fiona Apple


"Am I more than you bargained for yet
I've been dying to tell you anything you want to hear...
...
We're going down, down in an earlier round
And Sugar, we're going down swinging
I'll be your number one with a bullet
A loaded God complex, cock it and pull it"

Sugar We're Going Down, Fall Out Boy


"It doesn’t even matter how hard you try, keep that in mind
I designed this rhyme, to explain in due time
I tried so hard
In spite of the way you were mocking me
Acting like I was part of your property
Remembering all the times you fought with me
I'm surprised it got so (far) "
In the End, Lincoln Park


"It's not like you to say sorry
I was waiting on a different story
This time I'm mistaken
For handing you a heart worth breakin' "
How you Remind Me Nickelback


"I feel betrayed
Stuck in your ways
And you rip me apart
With the brutal things you say
I can't deal with shit anymore
I just look away

Cause you can't feel my anger
You can't feel my pain
You can't feel my torment
Driving me insane
I can't fight these feelings they bring only pain
You can't take away
Make me whole again "

Mudshovel Staind


"These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me"
My Immortal Evanescence


For more of a sad, not so much angry effect:

"oh how i miss, substituting the conclusion to confrontation with a kiss
and oh, how i miss
walking up to the edge and jumping in
like i could feel the future on your skin"

Fire Door Ani Difranco (basically any ani song will do the trick)


"But, I believe in you so much
I could die from the words that you say

But, you’re chasin’ the ghost of a good thing
Haunting yourself as the real thing
It’s getting away from you again
While you’re chasin’ ghosts

Just bend the pieces ‘till they fit
Like they were made for it
But, they weren’t meant for this
No, they weren’t meant for this "

Ghost of a Good Thing Dashboard Confessional



"what are we coming to?
what are we gonna do?

blame it on the black star
blame it on the falling sky
blame it on the satellite that beams me home....

i get on the train and i just stand about now that i don't think of you.
i keep falling over i keep passing out when i see a face like you.
what am i coming to?
i'm gonna melt down"
Blackstar Radiohead


"Been thinking about you, your records are here,
your eyes are on my wall, your teeth are over there. ....
... Been thinking about you, and there's no rest,
shit I still love you, still see you in bed. "
Thinking About You Radiohead (most Radiohead works well)


"I can’t live
With or without you"
With or Without you U2


"You do something to me
that I can't explain
so would I be out of line, if I said
I miss you"

I miss you Incubus



Out of line or not, I miss her something fierce.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANNA NALICK
"Bleed"

Well, it's been almost a year to the moment
When I finally realized it was over
And I knew that love wasn't good enough
Of a reason for me to stay
Well, I saw you yesterday; you were drivin'
And I tried so hard to forget
You were alive, and as you passed by I began to cry
Over things that I did not say

And hide underneath my blankets and sheets
I'm finally free
I'm killin' the ghost of you, and I'm close to
Awakening me

Yeah, yeah
So I'm takin' my heart and I'm gettin' me out
And love's something that I wouldn't wanna live without
So I'm takin' my heart and I'm gettin' me out
On my own, my own, my own

Well, it takes all of my strength to be stable
And I force your insults under the table
And if you were wise you would compromise
And allow me to live my way
'Cause I am not a force to be reckoned with
And you don't have a clue what you're messin' with
And you can't see to the best in me
'Cause it's more than your heart can take

And hide underneath my blankets and sheets
I'm finally free
I'm killin' the ghost of you, and I'm close to
Awakening me

I'm awakening me

I'm awakening me, yeah

I'm awakening me

So I'm takin' my heart and I'm gettin' me out
And love's something that I wouldn't wanna live without
So I'm takin' my heart and I'm gettin' me out
On my own, my own, my own

I'm takin' my heart and I'm settin' you free
And, baby, now you're just another song to me
And the edge of your sword isn't sharp enough for me
To bleed

1:55 PM  
Blogger ath said...

thanks for posting, that song is awesome, i'm downloading it right now

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home