Sunday, January 29, 2006

pot, work, rain and lesbians

To borrow a quote from Annie, who borrowed it from the Beatles "I get high with a little help from my friends". And I got stoned out of my mind Saturday night with a very good friend. He's the one who introduced me to the whole wide wonderful world of pot early on in our freshman year of college and taught me how to hit off a bong and blow shotties; if that's not a good friend, I don't know what is. To this day, every time I'm high, I think about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. See, me and Matt had a weekly ritual of smoking up and watching the show together, a tradition we were very protective over considering all the shit we got for watching it (which I will still defend, bring it on - and Laurs don't even try after all the nights you'd leave our room and come chill at Matty's w/me pretending you 'just came down to hang out and didn't know Buffy was on, but while you're here you might as well watch...") My creative thinking session w/Matt along w/a chat with my with my platonic life partner (and art director) earlier in the evening re-infused me with ideas for my script. Just what I needed (well, that and a vacation). That along with an impromptu visit from my childhood friend that afternoon (she's been my best friend since I was 12, that's half our lives now...melis, all i can say is "peaches"), made Saturday an all around kick ass day.

Today I wandered around in the rain, shopping and running errands and then headed off to work. Even though it's not the first place I'd choose to be on a Sunday evening, I do really enjoy having the place to myself. I wish it was that chill during the week...At the end of my session tonight, I decided I really need to keep track of all the cracked-out things that come out of Naomi Judd's mouth, next time I'm keeping a notebook with me. For example: As she was introducing a semi-regular on the show, who happens to be a female Korean rabbi "And [insert name here] you're a rabbi! But you were raised all Korean and Buddhist! Now that is weird!" The poor woman looked taken aback for a minute and then regained herself enough to chuckle along with our probably-lithium-infused host. Luckily the female pastor on her right made some comment about how she was weird too in an attempt to salvage the moment, all of which will probably end up cut out of the version to air. Sometimes I look at my life from afar and wonder what parallel universe I've stumbled into....

On the cab ride home I started thinking about all of the times I took cabs in the other direction; usually drunk around 3am. I used to live in the neighborhood I now work in, but until my job interview 9 months ago I hadn't been back down there since I left for Italy and then came back and got my own place 3 years ago. We drove up through Soho, passed some shop/gallery/something called Moss. And I wondered if the massive amount of diamonds hanging in the window were meant to be symbolic of all the rock Kate Moss has been stuffing up her nose lately...

Back home just in time for L word. The last two episodes have actually impressed me. Their writing has improved since last season, hell since the first episode of this season. It seems when they stop having so much sex they actually have interesting conversations on interesting topics and even manage a little character development. They could hook up just a little more tho....Especially Carmen and Shane...oh and Bette and well, someone. Speaking of the lack of Bette and Tina's love life, I'm really upset that they're pulling this "Queer as Folk" shit with Tina now. Not cool. Next week's story with Alice and the (vampire? did they really say that?) looks promising though as far as sex is concerned.

I so need more gay people in my life. I love my gay best friend, but I need some girls. I need to find New York's L word scene....


You should download these songs:

"Fruitloop Daydream" by Linda Perry

"Breathe Me" by Sia (it's depressing but gorgeous, the opening notes remind me of Counting Crows "Colorblind").

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem. VAMPIRES? Your show has VAMPIRES in it?? Okay, no show I have ever watched regularly has had vampires in it. So I can totally not feel bad about my cheesy high school WB dramas. (By the way, I only watch One Tree Hill because Minkus is in it, and he went to Wake. AND he was carrying around a WFU brochure when he was in the guidance office or something last week, so I have to be around to spot easter eggs like that. There.) Love you :)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

i do get high with a little help from my friends!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home