Sunday, July 02, 2006

the right way to end a long week and start a new one

Made my escape Saturday for what promised to be a full 24hrs of fun distraction from the rest of the bullshit in my life. Got to catch up with Aldous on the train ride up to Erin’s. I haven’t seen him in a while, and generally don’t hang out with him as much as I did when we were still in school. Listening to him talk about his recent film set and relationship (of course, it’s impossible for me and any friend of mine to get together and not talk about the craziness that we put ourselves through at the whims and expense of our hearts) experiences made me realize how much we’ve all grown these last few years. Neither he, nor I, are the same people we were when we first met in our Sight and Sound Film class second semester sophomore yr of college. Sometimes it takes an old friend and a gap of time between you to realize how much you’ve grown.

The car ride from Rye to Torrington with Holly, Wes, Aldous and Erin was filled with good music (Bob Marley – “every little thing is gonna be alright”, Counting Crows, Alman bros, Dave Matthews) and good conversation: politics of course, the possibility of seeing a black jewish lesbian president in our lifetime (doubtful), oprah vs condi, what we’re reading, and of course celebrity gossip (ahh Britney…insert head shake here).

Once in Torrington we were met by a full keg, and a case of Stellas, with the promise of bbq on the way. Sitting by the pool, drinking, eating and talking with a great group of people, was the perfect way to spend the next 10hrs and that’s basically what we did. There was a game of kick/wiffle ball that Erin, Holly and I observed before we retreated back to the poolside with the puppy. 90’s trivial pursuit (playing with out the actual board is much better), celebrity taboo (is tricky with 15 people), and my new favorite game which I was excited to see resurface after it’s debut a few months ago: celebrity. It’s the best game ever. Really. Especially the last round and esp when you’re all pretty fucked up.

Cracking inappropriate jokes (“my beef’s not tough”), Erin pretending to be Sean Connory and prank calling the kid who was harassing Jess (“how’s your hunt going? Your hunt for red October….” “have you found forrestor yet?” immature perhaps, but fun none the less….i do wish we hadn’t used my phone tho….stupid kid kept calling and texting me for another 2hrs…), Mate or Date, catching up with old people and learning about new ones (while Erin and I tried to bribe the ADD riddled puppy to play with us for more than 2min at a time…) was exactly what I needed.

Danielle: You’ve really got the giggles tonight Courtney
Me: I’ve had a long week…it feels good to laugh.


I’ve learned a lot about myself in just the past few days and it’s a little overwhelming. I need the last 36hrs I just had so so badly. Now it’s time to start digitizing the newest wedding, while I curl up on the couch with my Mexican food and Rosario Dawson rocking those tight blue pants in Rent (i'll light your candle honey...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home