Sunday, August 20, 2006

Kona

I love how each of the islands seem to have their own vibe. Where Honolulu was more commercially touristy, like a little vegas/new york dropped onto an island, Kona was like a secluded paradise. I like both. Our hotel was on the most picturesque beach I’ve ever seen. It was amazing. I saw more stars there than I’ve ever seen in my life. Fucking gorgeous.

I had a room all to myself which was nice after 4 days of sharing one with my parents (which was fun in it’s own way, like trips we used to take together when I was younger, but it was definitely time for some alone time after that). My balcony was clearly my favorite part of that hotel….

Falling asleep with the screen doors open, the ceiling fan sweeping the sea breeze around the room, the sound of the ocean right outside, lulling me to sleep, waking up and rolling over to see the clear blue waves….amazing….

We were on the dry part of the island, so everything was all open air….even the airport was mostly outdoors.

Everything on our side looked like a mirage. One side of the road was covered with dark black/brown lava rock (where people had placed white stones on top to spell out names and messages), the other side, the ocean side, was like a tropical oasis in the middle of the desert.

Best part of Kona: getting an outdoor massage at dusk, then showering off the oil in an outdoor shower, where the walls were built from granite colored slate and lava rock…so so cool….

Went to an active volcano at night where my dad and I climbed over the mounds of rippling, bumpy, cracked lava rock for over a mile, in the pitch black, armed only with flashlights (and the flashlights of the people around us, doing the same thing) following some random trial of little yellow markers to get to the part with the still flowing lava, and watch it glow a deep bright red/orange as it churned and spilled it’s way into the ocean. Very cool.

And of course, the fascinating, albeit long winded bonsai man.

Now we’re in Maui, (since yesterday) where Melis joined us (yay) and we proceeded to get sunburn…haha (I thought after a week of being under this sun, and having a pretty good tan, I’d be ok w/o sunblock…silly me…ouch….haha, oh well, ) Maui’s fucking awesome so far. Me piace vacation. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home