Monday, October 16, 2006

Drunk on the back of a bike….

…..is the only way to travel. So I had this whole pensive blog thing in my head when I walked in the door, but I think it got lost up there somewhere….i don’t blame it….it’s drowning with me in 2dollar beers and talk of turkey….

My brain spongy enough to let a friends advice sink in to some degree. They’re right, they’re almost always right. Clinging onto the back of a bike swerving through blurred traffic, my peripheral vision blocked but I’m not steering so I don’t care, as long as I don’t fall off….just letting everything sink.

The advice: potential. Everyone has potential. It’s what they do with it that matters. Examples from each of our pasts ensued. And of course as I type this THAT song plays. Speaking of ghosts from the past…to some degree I guess the past is never really done with you and that’s probably for the better…you need your past to learn from. I sure as hell have…and I haven’t had any regrets since January. I plan on keeping it that way.

They’re always right. But then we’re all always better at giving advice than taking it, aren’t we. Isn’t that just the way it goes?

I realized today I never wrote any kind of editing=life analogy. I’m surprised I haven’t. there are tons of comparisons to be made. So much about cutting is where things fall. Timing. So much is in the timing. You can have a great scene, with great performances, the one you rented that expensive crane for to get the tracking shot, the one you went overtime that day to finish covering, the one you labored over writing in the first place…but then…when everything starts to come together, all the other pieces start coming into play…well, that scene just may not play right anymore. And so it has to move or it has to go. The timing just isn’t right, and while it may not fit where it was, it could work somewhere else, later on in the film maybe…but first you have to let go of it working where it is, be willing to hit the x key (my avid shortcut for cutting), and see if maybe it’ll fall into place and work better at some other point. Find something to take it’s place or fit what’s there together. There are endless options. Editing and life are like puzzles. I guess I’m lucky I like putting things together.

2 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

wow... i had no idea how drunk you really were on the back of the bike. good thing i was the one in control. although when you were about to fall off, i found the whole thing funny... guess i shoulda sent that to postsecret.

and it's true. EVERYONE has potential.

and it's true. we are all better at giving advice rather than following our own.

and it's true. i am getting those things on my bike for you to stand on.

and let's not forget mr. bo jangles.

11:38 AM  
Blogger ath said...

"annie, i think i'm gonna fall off"

30 seconds later

"annnnd i'm sliding off...."

i found it funny as well, haha.

i love mr. bo jangles

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home